The NAMI Peer-to-Peer class is a free class for those living with mental illness. The 12-hour, 8-week class is taught by a team of trained mentors who have personal experience living well with their brain disorders.
The class is offered to those living with a mental illness, including:
- Bipolar Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Dual Diagnosis
- Major Depression
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Schizoaffective Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Classes include lectures, presentations, discussions, interactive exercises, and close with a set of mindfulness practice techniques to expand awareness and help with focus and calm thinking.
- An introduction to the stages of emotional reactions of a mental health diagnosis.
- Insights into understanding the experience of living with a mental illness.
- Current information about mental health conditions.
- Current research related to the biology of mental illness and the most effective, evidence-based treatment strategies available, including medications used to treat mental illness.
- Workshops on problem-solving, listening, and communication skills.
- Examples of strategies that have been helpful for others living with mental illness.
- Information on planning for crisis management and relapse.
- Information on locating appropriate supports and services within the community to build a community of support for the participant.
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand mental health services.
- To share information and tools necessary for participants to take the best possible care of themselves.
- To provide tools for the participants to use, even after completing the program that will assist in making the best decisions possible for their care.
- To help participants create a relapse prevention plan for identifying tell-tale feelings, thoughts, behaviors, or events that may warn of impending relapse.
- To teach participants survival skills for working with providers and the general public.
Feedback from Peer-to-Peer Participants
“My challenge with mental illness has gotten easier through my own challenges, whether that be with people or in all aspects of life. Growth is key and it starts with a simple thought of being one with your own self as you get to know who you are. I recently finished a class with NAMI, and it has helped me understand my trials and tribulations. I was able to gain key awareness in regards to my mental illness. Interactions with other students and hands-on assignments enabled me to grasp this recovery process. I am grateful for NAMI and the kindness they have shown from their heart. It’s a terrific organization.”Gina
Sign Up For a Peer-to-Peer Class
We have a new Peer-to-Peer class for Fall 2019!
October 16-December 11 at a Westside location.
Sign up to register our NAMI Westside LA Peer-to-Peer class.